Published on December 6th, 2016
Flooding in your home can be a stressful and difficult thing to deal with. Your safety is the number one priority but immediately after a flood occurs, its important that you act fast in order to protect your home. Whether you can save your furniture or not will directly depend on the severity of the flood. As water damage restoration specialists, we always suggest contacting us. It is often the case the food furniture has a better chance to be salvaged then upholstered furniture but there are things you can do to help restore everything.
Follow these tips to help restore your furniture:
- Act Quickly: This is one of the more important aspects as the longer you wait the more time the flood water has to damage and do its work on furniture.
- Photos: Take photos of all your damaged items and furniture. When thinking of which items you need to save, take into account the severity of the damage, the cost of the item, the sentimental value and the cost to be restored.
- Upholstered furniture can only sometimes be salvaged if it comes in contact with a small amount of clean water. If you choose to save upholstered furniture, professional restoration services will be required.
- Solid wood furniture is something that has a much better chance of being restored. When cleaning these items, fire clean off any dirt and mildew and then the piece should be completely dried and then re-glued.
- With furniture that has doors and drawers, don’t try to open or close swollen them. In order to solve the problem, air needs to be circulated until the wood dries completely.
- With the help of fans and shaded ventilation, furniture must be air-dried. You should also not expose the furniture to exposed sun, as it can directly lead to wood cracking & warping.
For more information about Work Dog Property Solutions and our water damage restoration services, please feel free to reach out. We can be reached over the phone at 1-855-665-3911 or fill out an online contact form.